Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Jiu Zhai Gou

It's barely 4 in the morning, yet here I sit wanting to tell you of this magical place I find myself in!!!

Jiu Zhai Gou has to be one of those places pulled straight from the playgrounds of the Gods. Apart from being high enough up, to make you feel that way(oxygen is sold in 'to go' cans!) the scenery, sounds, people and their food, are just mind blowing!!! 

Apart from having the highest airport in China(it literally is the top of a mountain that's been shaved flat), this place has some of the most colourful water known to man. Legend has it that a Princess had her mirror broken by a Devil, shattering into 108 pieces, which today are the lakes that fill the region. The clarity of the water is eerie, as it allows you to see fallen trees coming from below, which, given my imagination, made me feel that I had been given the pleasure, of being able to see a land lying far below!!!

The blues, greens and smattering of yellows, all blended perfectly; a couple of the lakes filled with Papyrus and/or what to me, looked like overgrown Rice, but with channels running through, that were icy blue and in some places turquoise. These lakes or 'lakelets', gave way to gushing waterfalls and in other places mini falls, that ran through the vegetation(think miniature Niagara or Victoria Falls, that sprung up from under the trees and grasses). I know it's hard to imagine but hopefully the photos will aid you in understanding what I'm saying!! The mountains are bare and rugged, yet soft and filled with trees, so you never know what's around the next bend or lying just over the horizon. Each morning, the birds wake you with their different chirps and shrieks, one of which I could swear is an Eagle, to calm into a silence that only a mountain top can offer.

The people are mainly Tibetan, with rosy cheeks, smiling eyes and happy faces, who, despite the language barrier, seem to 'get' what you need and take care of it without any of the attitude that can only be classed as Chinese. When I say that, don't get me wrong, the people in China have been great, but in cities of 18 million people, there definitely is an abruptness, that's not found here(why would there be, there's room to move and air to breath, albeit thin!!!).

The food is different form your normal Chinese fare, with Rabbit, Yak and Lamb being offered, instead of Chicken, Beef and Pork and there too are a lot more vegetables(local that is), offered which makes a pleasant change.

On that note I finish this blog, to get myself going and out of here. We have a high altitude hike today, only about 4500 meters up, now you know why there's oxygen on tap!!!

Ades


Well, there seems to be a problem with the Photo load right now, so check out www.juizhai.com to see EXACTLY what I mean. Sorry for this inconvenience, maybe someone's "watching" if you know what I mean!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment